Cover one year's worth of Arabic language studies and earn six academic credits during our faculty-led summer program at the American University in Cairo. The Program is premised on a full-immersion approach that allows participants to make great progress in the language in a relatively short amount of time. During the six-week program, students will complete two new courses, Egypt: Culture and Society and Approaches to Intercultural Communication. Rice in Egypt will include one week of remote learning and five weeks in Egypt.
- Full immersion in the language
- Daily classes with a local instructor alongside your Rice instructor.
- Community outreach and collaborative work with local NGOs.
- Local language partners.
- Social events with Egyptian families.
- Excursions to the Pyramids, the Egyptian Museum, and Islamic Cairo.
- Overnight excursion to Alexandria.
Participants who successfully complete the program can:
- Enroll in upper-level Arabic courses in Fall 2024 and Spring 2025.
- Fulfill the experiential learning component of the Certificate in Language & Intercultural Communication in Arabic.
|Prerequisites||ARAB 264 or Placement in ARAB 301|
|Program Dates||May 19 - June 28, 2024|
|Courses||Egypt: Culture and Society and Approaches to Intercultural Communication|
|Applications Open||November 15, 2023|
|Application Deadline||January 21, 2024|
See below for more important dates.
|Expense||Rice Students Pay|
|Airfare (estimated Houston - Cairo Round Trip)||$1,200|
|Daily Breakfast and weekend meals||$300|
- 6 Rice credit hours
- Accommodation in AUC dorms on campus
- Pocket money for two meals per day at campus restaurants and serveries during weekdays
- All excursions, including transportation, meals, and a local guide
- Language partners
- Community outreach and visits to local NGOs
- 24-hour WIFI and access to a fully equipped kitchen on campus
- Meet and assist at Cairo airport
- Welcome and farewell lunch
Merit-based and need-based scholarships are available.
Learn about financial aid options at this link: Rice in Country Financial Aid
For more information, consult with the Faculty Leader, Dr. Hossam Elsherbiny (email@example.com).